Thursday, April 26, 2007

Freshman college students returning home

I picked up #1 son yesterday from college. After numerous phone calls about how much stuff he had, and whether I needed to bring boxes, I decided to borrow my brother's panelled van for the journey. My explorer needs a new front end and since I am hoping to trade it in this weekend, did not want to risk it breaking. #2 son has a Grand Am. #1 son assured me that all his stuff would fit, but in the meantime the Grand Am's dreaded Service Engine Soon light came on, and I really wasn't sure how much room there was in that vehicle.

So.....I ventured off in the panelled van which allegedly had new tires and brakes. Not sure what the old brakes were like but the new ones were nothing to get excited over. As I am driving up to Michigan in the pouring rain, I note that there are no dials on the heater/AC or fan selector. BRRRRRRRRRRRR! I had been instructed not to open the side door. Ever. IE I think its held shut with a bungy cord.

I arrive at Michigan. I discover what my son means by he has packed. All his crap thrown into a pile on the floor. I kid you not. The smart mommy probably would have gone right to the nearest Meijers or Target and picked up a bunch of Rubbermaid totes but nobody ever accused me of being the smart mommy. We threw it all in the van. Trust me - this stuff would not have fit in the Grand Am. Or the Explorer, for that matter. I cannot believe how much CRAP that kid had. Seriously. I should have taken a picture of it.

At lunch my brother called and told me how to jury rig the heat (and defrost, which had become critical). You move the dial from one spot to the other. Presto!

So, after numerous critical errands (including a detour to a LYS where I fondled some bulky merino and picked up a few extra needles - see my previous post), we head off for home. The van sputters. Sputters again, and dies. Out of gas. So off we go to the gas station. #1 son sprinting. Because its raining, don't you know, and because thats the pace college students walk at. We get to the gas station, somehow I don't have a heart attack, get the gas, and some good samaritan takes us back to the van. In the process of dropping us off, she backs into this planter thing and knocks it over - no damage to her car but much horrors on everyones part, including the shop owners. I pay for the broken styrofoam pot, clean up the dirt, we gas up the van (one gallon and it swings to full, do you see a problem?), and we go back to the gas station. Now the service engine light is on. The van greedily sucks up 40 some gallons of gas, we head off to the local quick lube, who very nicely inform us that all the fluids are fine, our best bet is to drive home, so we did.

But no, the story doesn't end there. A few more FUBAR's for the day. As I am backing the heinous evil van into my driveway, WHAM! Right into my garage door frame! No damage done, except to my pride. #2 son comes out and said "Wow, sounds like something just slammed into the house". Yes, dear, that would be your mother.

And one last one - we go out to Texas Roadhouse for dinner because oh boy I have a gift card......well, I knock over my very full water, and then determine that my gift card is for FREAKING OUTBACK! Ah I love my life!

So my living room is now filled with #1 son's crap. I went to Wal-fart and picked up several gimongous totes - and suspect we will need a few more. Otherwise, #1 son will leave the crap lying in the living room until its time to go back to school. Because thats how they live. Like PIGS!!!!!!

1 comment:

Christine said...

*snort* I have to admit I was laughing a bit. OH you poor thing. even the water glass at the restaurant? OH OH OH.

That brought back flashbacks of the day my tire popped on the way home from Emporia State and hiking my butt across country in the rain and a car full o' crap. College days, nothing better.